Friday 2 May 2014

Labels, Samples, Fire, Easter Eggs and More...

Last week we spent almost the whole week in Suva, the capital city of Fiji.  It was cloudy, rainy, sunny some moments.  Typical Suva weather.  But I noticed on my last day there how fabulous Suva is when the sun is out.  Suva really sparkles in the sun.

I said goodbye to a dear friend I met in Fiji in 2012, who is taking the next adventure of her life and making a move to Melbourne.  Good luck Tilly!

We stayed with awesome friends, in their house in Namadi Heights.  We had such fun chatting chatting chatting chatting, and I barely saw Coco for all the playing she was doing with her Bestie... thanks Jacksons!!

And I met with a lot of people who are helping me achieve my dream of Little Bu.  I didn't take my camera along, which now I regret of course. 

I sorted out labels, both woven brand labels and care labels, size labels too.  I handed over my samples to a manufacturer who is going to quote me on grading my patterns, and manufacturing each piece.  Along with minimum quantities for those prices (that's scary!!).  I felt genuine pain in my heart when I handed them over, like each piece was my little wee baby.  I won't get them back for 2 weeks. 

Then I found the most gorgeous fabric at Threads, which is a small but amazing fabric shop in Raiwaqa.  I put around 40m on layby. 40m!!!! It looks like a lot but one of my dresses, yet to be named but for now I call it the Twirl Dress, uses around 1.5m per dress so it's a lot of fabric per piece. It's blue and green and aqua, and just like the ocean, perfect for resorts here in Fiji.

I got mockups done of my swing tags, and business cards and chose PMS colours for my branding. 

And before I handed those clothes over, I asked a sweet little friend of ours to model some of the samples so I could create a 'style guide' for Little Bu for my meetings with the two big Department Stores here (hoping for an appointment next week!! - keep your fingers crossed for me!)  Coco won't model for me anymore without significant bribes and my bribe bank is empty. But a huge thank you to Cami.

So instead Coco rode one of the Jackson's bike around...



The Little Bu Frill Top..


... with matching Poolside Pant


Poolside Pant in another colour...


The Twirl Dress, yep the one that uses 1.5m of fabric per dress.. it has a lot of twirl power (and obviously this was taken whilst I still had bribes left!)


Some sweet little shorts, that are not quite finished, will be adding some trims but you get the idea...



And finally a pic of the Neighbour burning her rubbish whilst we were taking these pics... choking.  PS. the neighour is hiding behind the tree haha


And to make you feel better about the amount of money you spent on your Easter Eggs this year... this pic was taken at MH in Suva last week (yes.. after Easter) and the price per egg was still $12.59.. and for that you got to take them home with the foil ripped off.  Extra delicious.


Happy belated Easter friends..

Love from Fiji


No comments:

Post a Comment